NTP question

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Thu May 2 03:38:37 UTC 2019

Yo Mel!

On Thu, 2 May 2019 03:30:03 +0000
Mel Beckman <mel at beckman.org> wrote:

> I’m also an FAA licensed A&P mechanic, and have worked for airlines
> in fleet maintenance.  Air carriers have extremely thorough systems
> reviews, by law, through the Airworthiness Directive program, which
> started identifying 2019 GPS rollover vulnerabilities in ... 2009!
> Nobody was surprised.  If any GPS systems “went nuts”, it was through
> the incompetence and negligence of their owners.

How many GPS owners happen to have $30,000 GPS simulators to check
their $300 GPS/NTP servers?  Some of mine did, most did not.

Seems to me the negligence is in the GPS manufacturer that failed to
notify their customers.

To be fair, Avidyne and Telit did notify their customers, but not with
a fix or enough lead time to swap out the units.

RGDS
GARY
	gem at rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588