NTP question

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Thu May 2 03:02:28 UTC 2019

Yo Mel!

On Thu, 2 May 2019 02:54:25 +0000
Mel Beckman <mel at beckman.org> wrote:

> Why? The GPS NTP Server is Stratum-1.  If it fails computer clocks
> will freewheel for hours or days before losing significant time,
> during which period you can simply order a replacement unit. If that
> isn’t fast enough, buy two $300 boxes. The “consensus” issue is moot,
> since a GPS server gets a consensus of clock time from the GPS
> satellite constellation.

I guess you slept through GPS Week Roll Over day last April 6th?

Some GPS went nuts, others did not.  Many 777 and 787 were grounded that
weekend for software updates to their expensive Honeywell GPS.  I'll
spare you the many more examples that hapened.

Not nice when yoar clock rolls back to 1999, or forward to 2035.

RGDS
GARY
	gem at rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588