Advertisement of Equinix Chicago IX Subnet

Job Snijders job at instituut.net
Thu Mar 28 14:12:17 UTC 2019

On Thu, Mar 28, 2019 at 02:59:43PM +0100, Niels Bakker wrote:
> * christopher.morrell.nanog at gmail.com (Christopher Morrell) [Thu 28 Mar 2019, 14:35 CET]:
> > I've been bit by this in the past at two different exchanges. I too
> > have a policy applied to deny IXP LANs from upstreams and peers. It
> > would be nice if there was a list of all IXP LANs somewhere that we
> > could generically add to all upstream and peers.
>
> I like Nick Hilliard's posted solution much better than creating
> static bogon lists that people will eventually forget about.

IXPs can use RPKI ROAs to signal to the world what their intentions are!
IXPs could either create a ROA with an Origin ASN of '0' to suggest to
the world that the peering lan prefix should never be visible in the
DFZ, or they can specify their own services ASN and simply not announce
the prefix. In either case IXPs should carefully specify the Max Length
value to be the same as the Prefix Length value of the peering lan
prefix.

Kind regards,

Job