Banned by Akamai (or some websites hosted with Akamai)

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Mar 27 15:56:09 UTC 2019

Akamai will _NOT_ be helpful in this situation.

They will tell you that it is their customers who set the policy for their “Web Application Firewall”.

In reality, Akamai’s customers set certain things on “autopilot” where Akamai maintains a reputation database for various IP addresses and triggers actions
set by their customers without their customers direct knowledge or intervention.

Akamai’s process for dealing with this (or rather their refusal to create a process for dealing with it) is a horrible disservice to the internet and to their customers.

I tried to push for changes to this process while I was there and had no significant success.

I’ve also been the victim of these practices after I was laid off by Akamai (along with about 7% of their employees last year).

Because of a variety of issues I’m not at liberty to elaborate, it isn’t an easy problem for Akamai to solve, but as a company that prides itself on tackling and solving difficult problems, they’ve certainly fallen short here.

Owen