residential/smb internet access in 2019 - help?

Bryan Fields Bryan at bryanfields.net
Wed Mar 27 09:05:27 UTC 2019

On 3/26/19 10:41 PM, david raistrick wrote:

> Looking at a house in a new area, at&t copper splice box out front,
> bellsouth fiber markers as well (yes, that's usually just passing by. but
> it's there).  Owners since '82 said the telephone company was AT&T - but
> the New AT&T apparently no longer offers phone or internet service there.
>
> This is located in a semi-rural area between Ocala and Gainesville Florida
> (Micanopy, specifically).
>
> I'd hate to miss out on this house - it's a lot of things we love - but
> cell or sat only for internet access just isn't going to fly.

Order the service and have it installed before you close.  Test it and ensure
it's good.  If the buyer won't allow it, walk.

You _cannot_ trust some carrier to tell you what you have available before
it's actually turned up.  Time and time again I see people close on a home
where Frontier or Cox or whoever says they have fiber there, and then after
the move in, 4-8 week later you find out they don't have anything.  Across the
road, yes, but all you can get is POTS and IDSL/ISDN.

Yep, is 2019 ISDN/IDSL is the only broadband service some people can get.
It's also going to be 100+ USD per month.

--
Bryan Fields

727-409-1194 - Voice
http://bryanfields.net