Contacts wanted: OVH, DigitalOcean, and Microsoft (Deutschland)

David Hubbard dhubbard at dino.hostasaurus.com
Wed Mar 20 00:33:02 UTC 2019

On 3/19/19, 8:23 PM, "NANOG on behalf of Ronald F. Guilmette" <nanog-bounces at nanog.org on behalf of rfg at tristatelogic.com> wrote:

    In message <CAL9Qcx7=-eTCJ7yGDT7oO2tkAJGOY3YMtYrtx5A-qH=-gN6vRg at mail.gmail.com>,
    Tom Beecher <beecher at beecher.cc> wrote:

    >Calling everyone an idiot in the midst of Endless Pontification isn't
    >really a recipe for success.

    I did not call "everyone" an idiot.  I'm quite completely sure that there
    are innumerable people in all of the referenced companies who are consumate
    and hardworking professionals who excel at ther jobs.  I do believe however,
    based on considerable experience and much hard evidence, that the abuse
    handling departnments at OVH and DigitalOcean, and indeed at essentially
    -every- sizable hosting company are less than entirely well staffed, less
    than entirely well trained, less than entirely well funded, and often
    inadequately effective, either due to their limited willingness or their
    limited authority, as circumscribed by management, when it comes to the
    execution of their assigned duties.  The abuse handling function at *every*
    Internet company is the ugly stepchild, ignored whenever possible, and
    typically starved of resources by management whose overriding consideration
    is this quarter's P&L statement, and by extension, the nearest upcoming
    executive bonus period.

    Regards,
    rfg

Why not just drop any prefixes from the respective ASN's?  We had to do that with OVH after the endless attacks coming from their networks, and lack of abuse response.  OVH really loves to shift the abuse around to new prefixes; I got tired of spending time staying ahead of it.