Webzilla

Denys Fedoryshchenko nuclearcat at nuclearcat.com
Mon Mar 18 22:56:07 UTC 2019

On 2019-03-18 23:24, Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:
> In message
> <CAB69EHiS0dAFyrUQ0ajEc3+En8+ccCVNcPaXmFvwz1CjBNQ2WA at mail.gmail.com>,
> Eric Kuhnke <eric.kuhnke at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Looking at the AS adjacencies for Webzilla, what would prevent them
>> from
>> disconnecting all of their US/Western Euro based peers and transits,
>> and
>> remaining online behind a mixed selection of the largest Russian ASes?
>> I do
>> not think that any amount of well-researched papers and appeals to
>> ethical
>> ISPs on the NANOG mailing list will bring down those relationships.
>
> In the early years of the 20th century, Vladimir Lenin, leader of the
> Bolshevik, revolution, famously quipped to his communist collegues that
> "The capitalists will sell us the rope to hang them with."  His
> prescient
> words have endured even the fall of the empire he founded because they
> clarify a simple and fundamental truth -- in capitalist systems, short
> term greed often overrides both rationality and simple common sense.
> My hope is that it will not be so on this occasion, and that enligtened
> long-term self interest will prevail, at least among those companies
> that
> are peering with any of Webzilla's ASNs.

Your speech is very reminiscent of this very Lenin, who climbed on an
armored car and broadcasted speech to the "worker class" and told how
bad are rich and how to restore justice.
Only instead of rich people you have "those pesky Russians", and instead
of the working class - "Western democracies". But let's not get into
politics too deep.
What prevents those who consider the activities of this hosting to be so
harmful that they are worth blocking - to filter and add to the ACL
lists of networks, where Webzilla AS is origin?
Or make some easy to use lists, API, BGP feed, and those who decide to
participate will null-route offenders, and you will see how many people
will support you.
If this list is compiled carefully, then I am sure it will interest
many(including me). If it turns into a political tool or a tool for
extortion ... then of course not.

And generally speaking, all these speeches from an armored cars end with
a witch hunt, and almost always entire nations or categories of people
are appointed as witches, depending on the trends.
Who will be next? Cloudflare? Their attempt to maintain neutrality
annoys many.
Amazon? They react very slowly to abuse.
OVH? It seems they do not care about abuse at all.
Or maybe it will go into fashion to make the guilty - legal arms
sellers? Or internet-stores who sell alcohol?
Just create a cause for a depeering, and a lot of people with their
special views will demand a depeering at every opportunity.

P.S. North Korea, as far as I know, is very limited in connectivity
choice, and this does not prevent them from creating a bunch of
problems.
As Max Tulyev said, and they are good example, just sprayed through
countless proxies.