FB? - route leak AS200020

Pim van Stam pim at vanstam-ict.nl
Thu Mar 14 14:22:58 UTC 2019

> On 14 Mar 2019, at 15:04, Jeroen Wunnink <Jeroen.Wunnink at gtt.net> wrote:
>
> The route-leak was something different that seems to have mainly hit west-Europe between 16:52 UTC to 17:08 UTC. There’s a few people in the *NOG communities still digging at the complete details of that right now, but it currently points to have originated from AS200020, impacting a few large upstreams for a short period of time.
>
> So unless this leak caused a catastrophic cascade in FB’s network somehow, it seems to be unrelated.
> It looked like a valid suspect because timing was very similar between the start of the FB outage and the leak.

Hello,

I’m an engineer at AS200020. We indeed had a route leak yesterday between 16:45 and 17:07 UTC.
This was caused by a mistake in the configuration of one of ou core routers by one of our engineers.
We leaked full table to one of our transits, which is apparently accepted. We’ve seen some prefixes from a couple of AS numbers coming in. Facebook was not one of these AS’es. As far as I can tell it’s not related at all to the major incidents at Facebook.

We are very sorry for any inconvenience people could have experienced.
If you received complaints in the mentioned time period and want to know if it could be related, please let me know.

Best regards,

Pim van Stam
NBIP-naWas / AS200020