Should Netflix and Hulu give you emergency alerts?

Sean Donelan sean at donelan.com
Tue Mar 12 23:52:48 UTC 2019

On Tue, 12 Mar 2019, Michael Thomas wrote:
> What's with perpetuating the thought that it needs to be in the bios? It's
> just a normal app on a normal computer like Biff.

I know, after working with network engineers in too many meetings.

As I keep repeating, for smart devices (Smart TVs, Smart Speakers)
emergency alerts should be part of the intelligent assistant mediation
layer (Alexa, Siri, Google Assistant). The specifics vary depending on the
smart device ecosystem. Its not part of the hardware bios. Its not part
of a third-party app. Its not part of the content stream. Most of the
intelligent assistant "smarts" live in a "cloud" in a bunch of data
centers.

On classic desktop computers, i.e. linux and windows, an emergency alert
handler is usually implemented as a daemon or background process. Desktop
computers would likely use a thick-client implementation. There are
several vendors that sell classic desktop emergency alerting products. If
you've ever been inside a Department of Defense facility during one of
their active shooter drills, its a bit insane when all the alerting
systems go off.

I would suggest a different UX for home users.