Should Netflix and Hulu give you emergency alerts?

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Tue Mar 12 01:57:24 UTC 2019

On Mon, Mar 11, 2019 at 6:25 PM Michael Thomas <mike at mtcc.com> wrote:
> This entire thing strikes me as a horrible layering violation. Why on
> earth should alerts be required to dogleg through content providers?
>
> It seems to me that it would be much better to use the standards we
> already have to deliver text, voice and video, and just make it a
> requirement that some list of devices must be able to listen for these
> announcements and act accordingly.

Hi Mike,

What;'s the plan then? Establish a multicast path throughout my backbone
for the emergency alert messages and pray none of them loop back in to my
system to create a storm? If my $30 home firewall receives a multicast
message on the proper port it should rebroadcast it inside? What could go
wrong!

Wide area multicast sucks dude. That's why we have video dogleg its way
through content delivery networks in the first place.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

William Herrin ................ herrin at dirtside.com  bill at herrin.us
Dirtside Systems ......... Web: <http://www.dirtside.com/>