Should Netflix and Hulu give you emergency alerts?

Mike Hammett nanog at ics-il.net
Sat Mar 9 14:30:24 UTC 2019

Seems a bit extreme...

-----
Mike Hammett
Intelligent Computing Solutions
http://www.ics-il.com

Midwest-IX
http://www.midwest-ix.com

----- Original Message -----

From: "Peter Kristolaitis" <alter3d at alter3d.ca>
To: nanog at nanog.org
Sent: Friday, March 8, 2019 10:32:18 PM
Subject: Re: Should Netflix and Hulu give you emergency alerts?

It can be blocked, FYI. Just... not as easily as it should be. On
Android, if you remove the CellBroadcastReceiver service, the phone no
longer listens for the alerts.

I rooted my phone specifically to be able to do this after the alerting
system rolled out in Canada. The test was bad enough, then within the
first week we had several alerts for a single event that happened
literally an entire day's drive away from me.

And thus, in the first week the system was alive, alarm fatigue set in,
the government confirmed that it cannot be trusted, and I revoked their
privilege to use my personal devices for stuff I don't want.