ICMPv6 "too-big" packets ignored (filtered ?) by Cloudflare farms

Töma Gavrichenkov ximaera at gmail.com
Fri Mar 8 17:06:45 UTC 2019

On Fri, Mar 8, 2019 at 7:48 PM Saku Ytti <saku at ytti.fi> wrote:
> Why do you think it would be expensive? It's cheaper than how ECMP is
> done for L3 keys, because you just read the flow label and not
> calculate any hash.

The most honest answer would be: I have no idea. That's just what I've
seen, rather briefly though, as we weren't going to investigate that
part at the time.

It's been a while since then, and maybe there was a mistake on our
side (at least within a perfectly academic context I must assume that
there was, as there was no peer review — we were not in academy after
all!), but I'm still inclined to, first, see the benchmarks of any
proposed piece of hardware that's promising you ECMP with flow labels,
second, make any statements about the latter.

--
Töma