ICMPv6 "too-big" packets ignored (filtered ?) by Cloudflare farms

Brandon Martin lists.nanog at monmotha.net
Fri Mar 8 13:45:20 UTC 2019

On 3/8/19 8:38 AM, Saku Ytti wrote:
> Hey,
>
>>      now for UDP, I don't know yet how does things like QUIC can be handled ...
>
> Unfortunately the magic answer you were hoping does not exist, what
> they do is they just send smaller packets.

What we almost seem to be moving toward in this discussion is an IP
header where the path can reduce the reported MTU which can then be read
at the receiving end.  This would be somewhat like ECN just with more
than a couple bits.

Of course, we know how well extension headers, much less hop-by-hop
headers, are handled on IPv6...

Re-writing a field in the L4 header works, but it seems ugly since it
means every hop that reduces the MTU of the link has to know every L4
that participates in such a scheme.

ICMP is nice in that it's totally protocol agnostic and doesn't require
altering of packets in transit.  It's a shame we can't reasonably rely
on it being delivered.
--
Brandon Martin