IPv6 Security Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Fri Mar 8 07:10:38 UTC 2019

"Generation of IPv6 fragments in response to ICMPv6 PTB messages has been deprecated in the revised IPv6 specification"

IS INCORRECT

generation of fragments is “discouraged".  Discouraged and deprecated mean different thing.

					However, the use of such
   fragmentation is discouraged in any application that is able to
   adjust its packets to fit the measured path MTU (i.e., down to 1280
   octets).

the whole of 4.4 is very badly worded and states things as fact which don’t
appear in RFC’s at all.

The adding of a fragmentation header for PTB <1280 has gone.  Fragmentation
down to 1280 is still supposed to happen in response to a PTB.  Packets still
have to flow through paths that narrow down to 1280.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742              INTERNET: marka at isc.org