Arista Layer3

Brandon Martin lists.nanog at monmotha.net
Wed Mar 6 08:13:10 UTC 2019

On 3/6/19 3:05 AM, Dmitry Sherman wrote:
> Is there any reason to have 2M routes support for next 3 years?

Full IPv4 table + full IPv6 table + multiple VRFs (BGP-VPN, etc.) plus
lots of on-net deaggregates could well push you above 1M right now
especially if your platform also shares that "1M" FIB space with
next-hop L2 information, ARP/ND entries, etc.  Bonus points for neeing
MPLS info in FIB, too, on MPLS PE routers.

IPv4 DFZ alone is rapidly growing to where it'll hit 1M for most
viewpoints without FIB compression, though most end networks can
probably compress it down a fair bit from that.

2M is the next "logical" FIB scale to target, I guess.  I've seen 1.5M
boxes, too, though the headline FIB scale is always suspect.  You have
to look at how other things that sit in TCAM will eat into that scale,
whether it has static or dynamic CAM partitions, etc.
--
Brandon Martin