WIndows Updates Fail Via IPv6 - Update!

Fernando Gont fgont at si6networks.com
Wed Mar 6 06:38:56 UTC 2019

On 6/3/19 03:29, Mark Andrews wrote:

>>> Which is not a reason to not fix broken equipment and misconfigured firewalls.
>>> The workarounds are basically there because people deploy broken equipment.
>>
>> Agreed. That said, it wasn't solved in 30+ years of IPv4. Do you have
>> hopes it will be different with IPv6?
>
> Make a big enough stink and it will get fixed.  People just don’t make enough of
> a stink.  Use social media.  None of the companies with broken firewalls really
> want their idiotic practices pointed out in public.  Start doing so every time
> you see it #STUPIDFIREWALL.

At times, it's fw defaults. Other times, it is admin policies.

RFC4821 seems to signal that the IETF has given up in making ICMP-based
PMTUD work, and aims at a (mostly) ICMP-free PMTUD.

Essentially, when brokenness is widespread, you have to come-up with
workarounds. And when workarounds are sufficiently widespread, there's
less of an incentive to fix the original issue.

Other times, there's a disconnect between with protocol standards,
products, and operational requirements. That's the case of IPv6 EHs.
This is their usability on the public Internet: RFC 7872.  And these are
some of the reasons why you get the numbers in RFC 7872:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-gont-v6ops-ipv6-ehs-packet-drops

Cheers,
--
Fernando Gont