Arista Layer3

Dmitry Sherman dmitry at interhost.net
Tue Mar 5 18:17:30 UTC 2019

Hello,
What do you think about Arista 7280SR (DCS-7280SR-48C6-M-R) as a BGP peering router with 3 x upstream with full route view in RIB (ipv4 + ipv6) and another IXP feed?
Considering switching from ASR9001 which is doing perfect work but has no more ports left.
The price is very competitive comparing to MX or ASR and this router-switch have 48x10Gig + 6x100GigE ports.
Will it run smoothly with BGP, PIM, IPV6?
Thanks.

--
Dmitry Sherman
Interhost Networks Ltd
Dmitry at interhost.net
Mobile: +972-54-3181182
Office: +972-74-7029881
Web: www.interhost.co.il

On 01/12/2017, 1:17, "NANOG on behalf of joel jaeggli" <nanog-bounces at nanog.org on behalf of joelja at bogus.com> wrote:

    On 11/30/17 13:00, Ken Chase wrote:
    >   >Arista DCS-7280SRA-48C6 is a 1ru box.??
    >   >
    >   >Has a nominally million route fib, Jericho+ 8GB of packet buffer.
    >   >control-plane is 8GB of ram andAMD GX-424CC SOC which is 4 core 2.4ghz.
    >   >We do direct fib injection with bird rather than the arista bgpd but the
    >   >control-plane is capable of managing quite a few bgp sessions.
    >   >
    >   >the 1/2ru 7280CR2K-30 and 60 are 2m route fib boxes with still heftier
    >   >control planes but they're a different class of box being all 100G and
    >   >requiring multi-chip/internal fabrics.
    >
    > Sounds pretty good - hows your power draw on that thing? Why'd you pick Bird
    > in this case?
    this a standard sr that's moderately busy but not exactly slammed, I'm
    be impressed if you could triple that at full tilt.

    #show environment power
    Power                                  Input    Output   Output
    Supply  Model                Capacity  Current  Current  Power    Status
    ------- -------------------- --------- -------- -------- --------
    -------------
    1       PWR-500AC-R               500W    0.35A    5.27A    62.8W Ok
    2       PWR-500AC-R               500W    0.32A    4.81A    56.4W Ok
    Total   --                       1000W       --       --   119.1W --

    bird had memory footprint going with it as well as some local
    modification and we hacked addpath into it a few years ago. filtering
    poilcy is something we programmatically generate and interact with via
    agents so a traditional style monolithic config isn't that useful.

    > /kc
    >

    >   >> /kc
    >   >>
    >   >> On Thu, Nov 30, 2017 at 10:45:09AM -0800, Tyler Conrad said:
    >   >>   >For Enterprise/DC, it works great. For service provider, they're not 100%
    >   >>   >yet. The main issue is going to be around VRFs, as there's no interaction
    >   >>   >between them (at least in the code version I'm on, that may have changed
    >   >>   >recently or be changing soon). They'll work great as a P-Router, but if you
    >   >>   >need a PE with route leaking I'd look at another vendor.
    >   >>   >
    >   >>   >I use a couple pairs of 7280SRs as edge routers/border leaves. Multiple
    >   >>   >full table feeds without any issue.
    >   >>   >
    >   >>   >On Thu, Nov 30, 2017 at 10:36 AM, Romeo Czumbil <Romeo.Czumbil at tierpoint.com
    >   >>   >> wrote:
    >   >>   >
    >   >>   >> So I've been using Arista as layer2 for quite some time, and I'm pretty
    >   >>   >> happy with them.
    >   >>   >> Kicking the idea around to turn on some Layer3 features but I've been
    >   >>   >> hearing some negative feedback.
    >   >>   >> The people that I did hear negative feedback don't use Arista themselves.
    >   >>   >> (they just heard....)
    >   >>   >>
    >   >>   >> So do we have any Arista L3 people out here that can share some negatives
    >   >>   >> or positives?
    >   >>   >>
    >   >>   >> Use case: Just some MPLS IPv4/IPv6 routing, l2vpn OSPF/BGP
    >   >>   >> Maybe 20k routes (no full internet routes)
    >   >>   >> 7050 Series
    >   >>   >> 7280 Series
    >   >>   >>
    >   >>   >> -Romeo
    >   >>   >>
    >   >>
    >   >
    >   >

    This mail was received via Interhost Mail-SeCure System.