Crowdfunding critical infrastructure

Jeff Shultz jeffshultz at sctcweb.com
Thu Jun 27 17:53:51 UTC 2019

On Thu, Jun 27, 2019 at 10:31 AM Eric S. Raymond <esr at thyrsus.com> wrote:

> Jeff Shultz <jeffshultz at sctcweb.com>:
> > It will be interesting to see, should this get off the ground to any
> > significant amount, if it turns into a bit of a popularity contest -
> > where a few get the lions share of the donations and the rest a
> > pittance.
>
> I'm aware of that possible failure mode.  It's why I designed in a
> three-way fanout.  The Loadsharer pledge strongly encourages its
> takers to to find and sponsore *three* LBIPs.
>
> > It might be a good idea to provide the list in a random (and
> > frequently re-randomized) fashion to avoid the same names always being
> > at the top of it. I see that Matt Harris had the same thought.
>
> There is no one list, by design.  That would be a single point of failure.
>
> Each adviser keeps his or her own list.  Loadsharers choose which
> advisers to pay attention to.
>
> Didn't anyone actually read the webpage?

I did, but I definitely missed the part about advisors maintaining
their own lists. I believed they were all going to be contributing to
a master LBIPs list. -  "and can choose which Advisers to follow (or
to follow none!)" did not make that explicitly clear.

My mistake was thatI didn't go to the Advisors' pages. I thought
they'd just be bios or somesuch, but the first lists are there as
well.

As is, one thing that grates a bit personally is that the two advisor
pages do not share a common structure - If I'm doing a comparison,
even unconsciously, I'm going to want to be looking at like objects.
Instead, I have your page, which matches the rest of the formatting of
the Loadsharer's website, and then I go to Dave Täht's page which is a
Patreon blog post, with a very different appearance.

I suggest that you provide Advisors with Loadsharer pages like your
own, to increase the commonality between list appearances.

My background is military - some uniformity counts in my worldview.
Maybe the lack of it will assist in splitting the loadsharers between
Advisors, which could be considered a feature.

FWIW.

--
Jeff Shultz

--
Like us on Social Media for News, Promotions, and other information!!

<https://www.facebook.com/SCTCWEB/>
<https://www.instagram.com/sctc_503/>
<https://www.yelp.com/biz/sctc-stayton-3>
<https://www.youtube.com/c/sctcvideos>

_**** This message
contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual
named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate,
distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by
e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail
from your system. E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or
error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed,
arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The sender therefore does
not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this
message, which arise as a result of e-mail transmission. ****_