Crowdfunding critical infrastructure

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Thu Jun 27 17:31:22 UTC 2019

Jeff Shultz <jeffshultz at sctcweb.com>:
> It will be interesting to see, should this get off the ground to any
> significant amount, if it turns into a bit of a popularity contest -
> where a few get the lions share of the donations and the rest a
> pittance.

I'm aware of that possible failure mode.  It's why I designed in a
three-way fanout.  The Loadsharer pledge strongly encourages its
takers to to find and sponsore *three* LBIPs.

> It might be a good idea to provide the list in a random (and
> frequently re-randomized) fashion to avoid the same names always being
> at the top of it. I see that Matt Harris had the same thought.

There is no one list, by design.  That would be a single point of failure.

Each adviser keeps his or her own list.  Loadsharers choose which
advisers to pay attention to.

Didn't anyone actually read the webpage?