Crowdfunding critical infrastructure

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Thu Jun 27 15:41:11 UTC 2019

The members of this list are, I think, much more aware tham most that
a lot of critical Internet software is maintained by unfunded
volunteers, and of the systemic risks that result from this.

I'm attacking the problem at the root, applying what the Internet has
taught us about decentralization and avoidiing single poimts of
failure. In part because I'm currently struggling with medical bills
(nothing life-threatening, just ankle surgery) but I've been worrying
about the larger problem for a decade.

Please read http://loadsharers.net

Of course I would like everyone on here to take the pledge and spread
the word in technical communities where they have influence. But
beyond that, there are several members of this list who are clearly
qualified to join as advisers. We're going to need that as the
Loadsharers network scales up.

.. a government and its agents are under no general duty to
provide public services, such as police protection, to any
particular individual citizen...
        -- Warren v. District of Columbia, 444 A.2d 1 (D.C. App.181)