CloudFlare issues?

Rich Kulawiec rsk at gsp.org
Tue Jun 25 10:27:06 UTC 2019

On Mon, Jun 24, 2019 at 09:39:13PM -0400, Ross Tajvar wrote:
> A technical one - see below from CF's blog post:
> "It is unfortunate that while we tried both e-mail and phone calls to reach
> out to Verizon, at the time of writing this article (over 8 hours after the
> incident), we have not heard back from them, nor are we aware of them
> taking action to resolve the issue."

Which is why an operation the size of Verizon should be able to manage
the trivial task of monitoring its RFC 2142 role addresses 24x7 with a
response time measured in minutes.   And not just Verizon: every large
operation should be doing the same.  There is no excuse for failure
to implement this rudimentary operational practice.

[ And let me add that a very good way to deal with mail sent to those
addresses is to use procmail to pre-sort based on who it's from.  Every
time a message is received from a new source, a new procmail rule should
be added to classify it appropriately.  Over time, this makes it very
easy to identify traffic from clueful people vs. traffic from idiots,
and thus to readily discern what needs to be triaged first. ]

---rsk