Verizon Routing issue

Max Tulyev maxtul at netassist.ua
Mon Jun 24 15:12:15 UTC 2019

24.06.19 17:44, Jared Mauch пише:
>> 1. Why Cloudflare did not immediately announced all their address space by /24s? This can put the service up instantly for almost all places.
> They may not want to pollute the global routing table with these entries.  It has a cost for everyone.  If we all did this, the table would be a mess.

yes, it is. But it is a working, quick and temporary fix of the problem.

>> 2. Why almost all carriers did not filter the leak on their side, but waited for "a better weather on Mars" for several hours?
> There’s several major issues here
>
> - Verizon accepted garbage from their customer
> - Other networks accepted the garbage from Verizon (eg: Cogent)
> - known best practices from over a decade ago are not applied

That's it.

We have several IXes connected, all of them had a correct aggregated
route to CF. And there was one upstream distributed leaked more specifics.

I think 30min maximum is enough to find out a problem and filter out
it's source on their side. Almost nobody did it. Why?