Cost effective time servers

Niels Bakker niels=nanog at bakker.net
Fri Jun 21 11:19:52 UTC 2019

* jay at west.net (Jay Hennigan) [Fri 21 Jun 2019, 05:19 CEST]:
>On 6/20/19 07:39, David Bass wrote:
>>What are folks using these days for smaller organizations, that
>>need to dole out time from an internal source?
>
>If you want to go really cheap and don't value your time, but do
>value knowing the correct time, a GPS receiver with a USB interface
>and a Raspberry Pi would do the trick.

Have you tried this?  Because I have, and it's absolutely terrible.
GPS doesn't give you the correct time, it's supposed to give you a
good 1pps clock discipline against which you can measure your device's
internal clock and adjust accordingly for drift due to it not being
Cesium-based, influenced by room temperature etc.

You're unlikely to get the 1pps signal across USB, and even then
there'll likely be significant latencies in the USB stack compared to
the serial interface that these setups traditionally use.

	-- Niels.