Traffic ratio of an ISP

Valdis Kl=?utf-8?Q?=c4=93?=tnieks valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu
Thu Jun 20 14:28:49 UTC 2019

On Wed, 19 Jun 2019 16:20:37 -0400, Prasun Dey said:
> So, my question was more like to understand when an ISP decides to claim
> itself as any of these (Heavy Outbound/ Inbound or Balanced)? From an ISP’s own
> point of view, at what point, it says, my outbound:inbound is something, so I’m
> Heavy Outbound.

Often, just "We're eyeballs, so heavily inbound" or similar quick estimation
with no real numbers attached.  Otherwise, often whatever the ISP's management
thinks will give the best results when trying to convince another network to
peer rather than have to pay for transit, or other similar reasons often only
vaguely connected to reality.