Traffic ratio of an ISP

Job Snijders job at instituut.net
Thu Jun 20 14:27:18 UTC 2019

On Thu, Jun 20, 2019 at 4:21 PM Steller, Anthony J
<Anthony.Steller at charter.com> wrote:
> because it really don’t matter in the whole scheme of things.

Indeed, it doesn't matter. The "traffic ratio" field in PeeringDB
probably should be deprecated, there is no formal definition nor is
are there any operational consequences to changing the contents of
that field. The contents of the field are entirely arbitrary.

If the traffic ratio is relevant (I am not saying it is or isn't),
such traffic ratios probably should be viewed in exclusively in
context of specific ASN pairings. Maybe between you and me we'll see
the dominant traffic direction being one way, and with another ASN
pairing we see the opposite. There is no telling other than through
observation, any such observations are unlikely to be shared with the
general public.

Kind regards,

Job