Traffic ratio of an ISP

Valdis Kl=?utf-8?Q?=c4=93?=tnieks valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu
Thu Jun 20 02:10:16 UTC 2019

On Wed, 19 Jun 2019 11:05:40 -0400, Prasun Dey said:

> I’ve seen from PeeringDB that every ISP reveals its traffic ratio as Heavy/
> Mostly Inbound or Balanced or Heavy/ Mostly Outbound.
> I’m wondering if there is any specific ratio numbers for them

If they're an ISP that sells to end user consumers, they're going to be a heavy
eyeball traffic - all the big packets are coming inbound from content providers and
going to consumers.

Content providers will of course show lots of big packets heading outwards toward
eyeball networks - but those usually aren't called ISPs.

If they're selling mostly transit, then they're more likely to be balanced, but
again, then they're probably not really an "ISP" as the word is usually used.