Traffic ratio of an ISP

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Wed Jun 19 18:14:43 UTC 2019

On Wed, Jun 19, 2019 at 9:50 AM Prasun Dey <prasun at nevada.unr.edu> wrote:
> I’m a Ph.D. candidate from University of Central Florida. I have a query,
I hope you can help me with it or at least point me to the right direction.
> I’ve seen from PeeringDB that every ISP reveals its traffic ratio as
Heavy/ Mostly Inbound or Balanced or Heavy/ Mostly Outbound.
> I’m wondering if there is any specific ratio numbers for them. In
Norton’s Internet Peering Playbook or some other literary work, they
mention the outbound:inbound traffic ratio as 1:1.2 to up to 1:3 for
Balanced. But, I couldn’t find the other values.

Hi Prasun,

Ratio only masquerades as a technical term. It's whatever it takes to
convince the other guy to set up settlement-free peering and you'll tweak
your routing adjusting reality to match. The information in peeringdb is
just a rough guide to help you figure out who to talk to as you try to
adjust your traffic profile so that you can go after the big fish as
"balanced."

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--