Traffic ratio of an ISP

Prasun Dey prasun at nevada.unr.edu
Wed Jun 19 15:05:40 UTC 2019

Hello,
Good morning.
I’m a Ph.D. candidate from University of Central Florida. I have a query, I
hope you can help me with it or at least point me to the right direction.
I’ve seen from PeeringDB that every ISP reveals its traffic ratio as Heavy/
Mostly Inbound or Balanced or Heavy/ Mostly Outbound.
I’m wondering if there is any specific ratio numbers for them. In Norton’s
Internet Peering Playbook or some other literary work, they mention the
outbound:inbound traffic ratio as 1:1.2 to up to 1:3 for Balanced. But, I
couldn’t find the other values.
I’d really appreciate your help if you can please mention what
Outbound:Inbound ratios that network admins use frequently to represent
their traffic ratios for
1. Heavy Inbound:
2. Mostly Inbound:
3. Mostly Outbound: