BGP person from Bell Canada/AS577

Niels Bakker niels=nanog at bakker.net
Wed Jun 19 15:42:27 UTC 2019

* jabley at hopcount.ca (Joe Abley) [Wed 19 Jun 2019, 17:24 CEST]:
>On 19 Jun 2019, at 10:27, Mike Hammett <nanog at ics-il.net> wrote:
>
>>I'm curious as to why someone would want to do this? My interest
>>is education, not combative.
>
>In previous lives I have had great success simply talking to people
>at Akamai about where my customers' traffic was landing, and where
>would make more sense for it to land. They were always very
>responsive; the people I used to talk to are no longer there, but I
>imagine there are replacements, even if you have to hunt a little
>further than the published noc address. I always took care to
>describe my problem in terms of clients and content rather than
>routing policy, which seemed like a better bet than making
>assumptions about how their content-steering machinery worked.

Still happy to help out as will be other colleagues lurking on this
list.

>Asking Akamai seems more likely to succeed than asking a third-party
>network to modify their BGP export policy for a non-customer,
>especially when the third-party network is large and, I am guessing,
>highly-automated and policy-rigid. But it would be interesting to me
>too to find out if I'm wrong.

It's Akamai making the decision to serve networks from certain
clusters so it's not really up to Bell to go against Akamai's request
to send their own + customer prefixes for their cluster.

>Jason, if you are multi-homed you could always try AS_PATH
>prepending 18717 to the advertisments you send towards 577 (he said,
>over his shoulder, running away).

Akamai caches generally ignore AS_paths so that may not help.

	-- Niels.