someone is using my AS number

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Sat Jun 15 13:31:03 UTC 2019

On Sat, 15 Jun 2019, Job Snijders wrote:

> There is no signal from the remote ASN (the one that receive the route
> announcement) to the Originator ASN about the remote ASN's loop
> detection policies. Therefor, since you can't know what the remote side
> will do ahead of time. The only recourse left at that point is active
> probing (trial & error). Trial and error, where the 'error' state may be
> an hard outage, means that the method is unreliable.

How does as-path poisoning failing (i.e. the AS you wanted to ignore a
route accepts it) cause a hard outage?  When used for TE, a failure just
means a route/path you wanted some remote network to ignore is not ignored
and might be used.  i.e. Your TE may not work as desired, but the packets
will still get to you, just not necessarily via the path you wanted them
to take.