someone is using my AS number

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Thu Jun 13 15:17:33 UTC 2019

On Thu, Jun 13, 2019 at 9:59 AM Joe Abley <jabley at hopcount.ca> wrote:

> Hey Joe,
>
> On 12 Jun 2019, at 12:37, Joe Provo <nanog-post at rsuc.gweep.net> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Jun 12, 2019 at 04:10:00PM +0000, David Guo via NANOG wrote:
> >> Send abuse complaint to the upstreams
> >
> > ...and then name & shame publicly. AS-path forgery "for TE" was
> > never a good idea. Sharing the affected prefix[es]/path[s] would
> > be good.
>
> I realise lots of people dislike AS_PATH stuffing with other peoples' AS numbers and treat it as a form of hijacking.

Actually, I've been meaning to start a thread on this for a while.

I have an anycast prefix - at one location I'm a customer of a
customer of ISP_X &  ISP_Y & ISP_Z. Because ISP_X prefers customer
routes, any time a packet touches ISP_X, it goes to this location,
even though it is (severely) suboptimal -- things would be better if
ISP_X didn't accept this route in this location.

Now, the obvious answer of "well, just ask your provider in this
location to not announce it to ISP_X. That's what communities / the
telephone were invented for!" doesn't work for various (entirely
non-technical) reasons...

Other than doing path-poisoning can anyone think of a way to
accomplish what I want? (modulo the "just become a direct customer
instead of being a customer of a customer" or "disable that site", or
"convince the AS upstream of you to deploy communities / filters").
While icky, sometimes stuffing other people's AS in the path seems to
be the only solution...

> However, there's an argument that AS_PATH is really just a loop-avoidance mechanism, not some kind of AS-granular traceroute for prefix propagation. In that sense, stuffing 9327 into a prefix as a mechanism to stop that prefix being accepted by AS 9327 seems almost reasonable. (I assume this is the kind of TE you are talking about.)
>
> What is the principal harm of doing this? Honest question. I'm not advocating for anything, just curious.
>

> Joe

idea in the first place.
of pants.
   ---maf