Apple devices spoofing default gateway?

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri Jun 7 23:52:08 UTC 2019

This is a less than helpful feature in a lot of situations…

e.g. I was attempting to work on an IOT device and test OTA firmware updates in a Hotel a little while ago.

The client isolation on the wifi network resulted in non-obvious failures that took some time to identify.

In general, people expect communications within a LAN segment to work. Breaking this assumption should only be done in cases where there is very good reason to do so.

I fully appreciate the argument that a hotel WiFi is one such situation and even agree with it to some extent. However, in such circumstances, I believe the fact should be posted in plain view and/or noticed on the captive portal login page.

Owen