CenturyLink/Level 3 combined AS

Tom Beecher beecher at beecher.cc
Fri Jun 7 16:49:20 UTC 2019

That '2000 peer ASN's' value is likely very, very inflated. I have prefixes
that would look like I am peering with 3549 directly in many places that I
do not.

L3 has for some time had a partial as-merge community that you can set so
that if you announce a prefix to 3356, they'll mirror it over to 3549 in
the same location and strip 3356 from the as-path. The reverse also works
for an announcement to 3549 mirrored over to 3356. They're doing some
inter-as option c juju to make all that work.

Doesn't change the point that 3549 is still around 8 years later and likely
will be for 8 more, but yeah. :) I'm sure efforts to make that happen have
a plethora of roadblocks such that it would cost 10x more to get rid of it
than it would to just leave it as is and just shrink it when possible.