DOs and DONTs for small ISP

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Tue Jun 4 09:31:31 UTC 2019

> On Jun 3, 2019, at 3:12 PM, Warren Kumari <warren at kumari.net> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Jun 3, 2019 at 2:55 PM Fletcher Kittredge <fkittred at gwi.net> wrote:
>>

>> I would respectfully point out that my point about the importance of finding the right partners. For you, sounds like it was good to have opportunity to get out of this venture.
>

> Oh, goodness yes -- however, I *still* have barely working Internet
> access at that location (it's basically a weekend home) -- I've
> somewhat started down the Jared Mauch "buy used vibratory plow, trench
> (house is off a dirt road, neighbors won't have an issue with right of
> way if I provide them free bits!), install fiber" path. My driveway is
> @1/4 mile, the dirt road is 0.6 miles and at the end of the road there
> is (what used to be) Quest fiber.

Few tips:

1) Some incumbents don’t know their fiber, so sales reps don’t know how
to quote it but a reseller can.  This might be a good route.  Then again
I am having trouble with a firm right now so will be poking around at
NANOG to solve my problem.

2) Don’t tell all my secrets yet.  I also now own a directional drill
and have a tariff on file with the state.  (It wasn’t expensive once you
find the right firm).

3) Fusion splicers and OTDRs are super cheap these days if you’re doing
simple work.

4) Labor is always the expensive part.

5) More to come, maybe by the October NANOG I’ll be ready with my talk.

- Jared