DOs and DONTs for small ISP

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Mon Jun 3 17:45:19 UTC 2019

On Mon, Jun 03, 2019 at 01:48:33PM +0000, Mel Beckman wrote:
> I’m constantly amazed at the number of even medium-sized ISPs that have no network monitoring. An NMS should go in as the first software component — before billing starts and the provider is on the hook to deliver.

	often people are using tools like quickbooks to start, these don't support integration with networking tools.  You see tools like Sonar or powercode in use.  Some of this is changing with newer tools like UNMS and UCRM in some spaces, but often these are vendor locked or don't integrate well.

> The second lacking component is a ticket system, which is silly because turnkey cloud services are not expensive, and open source solutions abound for budget-limited operators.

	The number of people who can't do sysadmin functions is high.  there's a reason SaaS is a thing, but the costs are often enough to force someone to roll their own.  Take something like powercode with a $1/subscriber fee which adds up quickly.

> The third component failure is security, including weak and default (!) passwords, failure to use real certificates, and the complete lack of 2FA or MFA. Security also requires data surveillance, in the form of net flow analysis.

	Much of this is because hardware has defaults that aren't sane or lack some ZTP or provisioning that you can do.  How do you do this with UBNT, Tik or other cost optimized hardware?

> The “two guys and a router” business model must be upgraded with more planning and a cohesive operating plan.

	Most large networks are run with small teams, while usually more than 2 it's often not more than 10 to do the arch + eng work necessary.  If you have more, they're often doing installer work not actual eng work.

	- Jared

Jared Mauch  | pgp key available via finger from jared at puck.nether.net