DOs and DONTs for small ISP

Cummings, Chris ccummings at coeur.com
Mon Jun 3 12:25:46 UTC 2019

Mehmet, I think this is a cool idea, perhaps a good format for the documentation would be something along the lines of an “awesome list”? (https://github.com/sindresorhus/awesome)

Chris

From: NANOG <nanog-bounces at nanog.org> on behalf of Mehmet Akcin <mehmet at akcin.net>
Date: Monday, June 3, 2019 at 07:06
To: nanog <nanog at nanog.org>
Subject: DOs and DONTs for small ISP

hi there,

I know there are folks from lots of small ISPs here and I wanted to check-in on asking few advice points as I am involved building an ISP from green-field.

Usually, it's pretty straight forward to cover high-level important things, filters, routing policies, etc.but we all know the devil is in the details.

I am putting together a public DOs and DONTs blog post and would love to hear from those who have built ISPs and have recommendations from Billing to Interconnection, Routing policy to Out of the band  & console setup, Software recommendations, etc. Bottom line is that I would like to publish a checklist with these recommendations which I hope will be useful for all.

thanks in advance for your help and recommendation.

Mehmet