Spamming of NANOG list members

bzs at theworld.com bzs at theworld.com
Sat Jun 1 20:18:42 UTC 2019

WARNING: I AM ABOUT TO PONTIFICATE!

Many of the lists etc I'm on get spamt and that's followed by a stream
of "we're getting spamt!" (either directly or scraped) agonizing, over
and over.

I've been involved in the spam problems since before some of you were
bornt (ok I'll stop with the stupid past participles), late 90s, and
the net since the 1970s.

Instead of this non-stop quarter century of agonizing maybe it's high
time to admit failure, that we designed a system which is subject to
spam and that was a mistake, a big mistake.

I know, where's the FUSSP, the proposal, so you can shoot it down?

I won't do that, not here.

But I do think we need, and have needed for a couple of decades, some
sort of radical rethink.

Times have changed, ideas which were not practical 20 years ago are
perhaps possible today due to, if nothing else, cheaper, faster
hardware and networks etc.

I guess I'm an idealist but I also get a little sick of the endless
cycle of complaining, agonizing, and assertions that everything has
been tried and nothing can help which mostly amount to we like/hate
email just as it is.

--
        -Barry Shein