really amazon?

Scott Christopher sc at ottie.org
Wed Jul 31 21:54:07 UTC 2019

Rich Kulawiec wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 31, 2019 at 11:13:48PM +0300, Scott Christopher wrote:
> > Because it will get spammed if publicly listed in WHOIS.
>
> Yes.  It will.  Are you telling us that Amazon, with its enormous financial
> and personnel resources, doesn't have ANYBODY on staff who knows how to
> properly manage an abuse@ address -- part of which includes dealing
> with that exact problem?

They do, but it's just time-consuming and inefficient. You can't spam-filter the content of abuse@ obviously.

But in addition to spam, random (read: non-technical) people will send complaints outside of the usual purview of spam, network abuse, DMCA, etc. They find some FAQ on the web telling them to determine the PoC on whois.domaintools.com and then they start firing crap.

I prefer openness and transparency and the general spirit of WHOIS but, in practice, you really do need the limit the PoC information to a trusted group of insiders.

--
S.C.