The future of transport in the metro area

Etienne-Victor Depasquale edepa at ieee.org
Wed Jul 31 14:48:01 UTC 2019

Hello,

I'm new to this mailing list. I hope I've understood the scope correctly!

I've posted this question to ResearchGate but I haven't had any response.
I'm hoping for some guidance from here.

The question is:

"I'm trying to identify trends in adoption of transport technology in the
metro-area. If legacy is SDH/SONET and its successor in circuit transport
is OTN, what are network providers implementing and planning to implement
as transport technology in the metro area? For example, are packet
transport technologies being considered as a replacement? As a
complementary technology? By packet transport technologies, I am thinking
of PBB-TE and MPLS-TP but ultimately, the problem regards how network
providers are balancing circuit-transport and packet-transport technologies
in current and planned deployments."

--
Ing. Etienne-Victor Depasquale
Assistant Lecturer