Estimated LTE Data Utilization in Failover Scenario

Matt Harris matt at netfire.net
Wed Jul 31 14:46:13 UTC 2019

On Wed, Jul 31, 2019 at 9:21 AM Shaun Dombrosky <SDombrosky at blackfoot.com>
wrote:

> Good Morning,
>

> First time NANOG poster, apologies if I breach etiquette.
>

> Does anyone have any first-hand data on how much data a small-medium
> business (SMB) can expect to consume in a failover scenario over a 4G/LTE
> connection?  Retail, under 50 head count, using PoS, maybe cloud accounting
> software, general internet activity, 8 hour time period.  Wonder if anyone
> is using a Cradlepoint or SD-WAN solution that could pull a few quick
> numbers from a dashboard for me.  I haven’t had much luck in my searches.
>

> Appreciate any info anyone can provide.
>

> Thanks,

Hey Shaun,
I'd recommend pulling that data from the device normally facing their
internet connection. Does it support netflow or even just basic snmp
statistics that you could graph? Ostensibly the traffic level would be the
same regardless of whether using an LTE backup connection or the primary
internet connection unless you somehow prohibited certain traffic when on
LTE. Ultimately though, your best bet is going to be to get real stats over
the course of a couple of weeks and then you'll understand better the
traffic patterns based on time of day, day of the week, etc, as well, as
this is likely relevant.

Good luck!