Ancient history (was Re: 44/8)

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Thu Jul 25 01:20:17 UTC 2019

On Wed, Jul 24, 2019 at 12:43 PM David Conrad <drc at virtualized.org> wrote:
> In some cases, there was a ‘caretaker’ assigned (ARRL for 44/8 and @Home
> for 24/8) who acted as a pseudo-registry: they did (or at least were
supposed
> to do) sub-assignments for entities that met (IANA- and pseudo-registry-)
> defined criteria.

Hi David,

Did you mean to say ARRL here? If you did, can you explain how 44/8 ended
up with an organization unaffiliated with ARRL? One that I'll note:

a. Has no public participation (unlike ARRL which has open membership and
elections)
b. Was established only this decade at ARIN's urging
c. Is a 501(c)3 organization which has announced but not yet delivered
plans for reducing its administrative overhead from 100%.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William Herrin