44/8

Matt Brennan brennanma at gmail.com
Tue Jul 23 20:33:33 UTC 2019

In addition to my day job I also run IT for a 501(c)(3) ham "club" that
does amateur radio based public service and emergency communications. Our
annual cash donations are about $100. We could never afford an IPv6
allocation or an AS number. I wish we could because I'd love to use some of
the AMPRNET space for some of our operations. Our ISP doesn't support IPv6
yet, so I won't even get into that discussion.

While we don't have cash, we frequently get donations in the form of [used]
equipment. Our entire network backbone is Cisco. Our radio systems are
almost exclusively Motorola public safety grade hardware. Our Internet
connection is paid for by a served agency. People are happy to donate their
time, services, and hardware to us; just not cash. Saying that not having
cash on hand means you don't have the resources to do packet radio is not
necessarily true.

-Matt, NM1B