44/8

James Downs egon at egon.cc
Wed Jul 24 04:32:06 UTC 2019

> On Jul 23, 2019, at 18:44, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
>
> Not entirely true. A lot of 44/8 subnets are used for transporting amateur radio information across the internet and/or for certain limited applications linking amateur radio and the internet.

In the mid 90's we (an ISP) announced the space for WI's packet community. If it didn't need internet connectivity, you wouldn't need the IP addresses, necessarily.

Also, from the AMPR website: https://www.ampr.org/about/

"We don’t sell addresses; you might consider an AMPRNet allocation to be in the nature of an extended loan of IP space, which is, of course, subject to our Terms of Service."

And of course, from: https://www.ampr.org/terms-of-service/

And also from: http://wiki.ampr.org/wiki/Main_Page

> Since its allocation to Amateur Radio in the mid-1980's, Internet network 44 (44.0.0.0/8), known as the AMPRNet™,
> 	• This page was last edited on 5 April 2014, at 04:32.

They certainly seem to be claiming to have ownership of something not assigned to them, and in conflict with their own stated TOS.

What seems additionally strange is that according to the addressing agreement from 1986, according to wikipedia, "The allocation plan agreed in late-1986 mandated 44.0/9 (~8 million addresses) for use within the United States, under Federal Communications Commission (FCC) regulations;[6] and mandated 44.128/9 (~8 million addresses) for the Rest-of-World deployment, outside of FCC regulations.[6]"