44/8

Matt Harris matt at netfire.net
Tue Jul 23 15:18:07 UTC 2019

On Tue, Jul 23, 2019 at 10:05 AM Nathan Brookfield <
Nathan.Brookfield at simtronic.com.au> wrote:

> Yeah because v6 only is the answer plus tour assuming all of these clubs
> have routers and BGP and the money to get an allocation and ASN....

If any amateur radio folks want to use a v6 block that's been allocated to
them for amateur radio/digital comms/etc purposes, there are probably
plenty of folks who already have routers/bgp sessions/ASNs who'd be happy
to announce their space for them at no cost. If someone doing so were to
ask me nicely, I really can't think of a reason not to. It doesn't really
cost me anything and no one's pushing enough traffic on ham bands to amount
to enough to even think about the bandwidth usage under most circumstances.
There's plenty of overlap between hams and people who want to support the
hobby, and network operators with resources to spare. And if things don't
work out, since it's your own space, you can take it and go elsewhere if
needed - it can't be sold out from under you.

Additionally, one can run their own bgp with extremely inexpensive gear
these days. Ubiquiti's edgerouters will do it (around $100 USD), or a
whitebox running pfsense or any number of other FOSS operating systems. You
don't need multiple full tables from several providers plus a half-dozen IX
sessions to announce a /48 for ham radio use. That same low-cost gear can
tunnel the space to wherever you need it, too, if needed. Remember, we're
almost always talking about very very low bandwidth applications here on
amateur spectrum.