44/8

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Tue Jul 23 01:18:11 UTC 2019

On 22 Jul 2019, at 8:47 PM, Valdis Klētnieks <valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu> wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Jul 2019 20:36:40 -0000, John Curran said:
>
>> There is no such creature as a “special purpose” RIR; Regional Internet
>> Registries serve the general community in a particular geographic regions as
>> described by ICANN ICP-2.
>
> OK, I'll bite then.  Which RIR allocates address space to trans-national interests
> such as the UN or NATO? Given that Matthew Kaufman states a /15 out of 44/8
> was allocated to a German organization, it certainly sounds like we're well into
> transnational territory here.

Valdis -

	International organizations today get IP address blocks generally from the RIR which serves their headquarters location.

	Prior to ARIN’s inception, international organizations who obtained address blocks often obtained them from the InterNIC (which handled IP address issuance for all parties not in the RIPE or APNIC regions.)

	ARIN continued to serve these early registrations upon its formation, and most of those registrations were moved to the appropriate RIR in 2002 as part of the "ERX - Early Registration Transfer Project” <https://www.arin.net/vault/participate/meetings/reports/ARIN_X/PDF/erx.pdf>

Hope this helps clarify things somewhat - thanks for asking!
/John

John Curran
President and CEO
American Registry for Internet Numbers