44/8

Brandon Butterworth brandon at rd.bbc.co.uk
Mon Jul 22 23:58:50 UTC 2019

On Mon Jul 22, 2019 at 06:33:17PM -0400, Paul Timmins wrote:
> And after 75 messages, nobody has asked the obvious question. When is
> ARDC going to acquire IPv6 resources on our behalf? Instead being all
> worried about legacy resources we're highly underutilizing.

I didn't want to spoil a good history dig but did think why not
sell the lot. With over 4x as much money it should be able to
pay to replace all the legacy kit/software using 44 with stuff
doing v6. When the regulator takes spectrum away for others
often the others pay the cost of clearing incumbents off.

However I've become a v6 idiot as I'd rather we stop dragging
this out and get everyone on v6 sooner. Recycling v4 is
just time wasting for the convenience of a few rich people
and transferring operational problem of scarce v4 onto the
less well funded.

brandon
(G1OZZ and provider of uk 44 gateway through GB7BBC and friends from
1995 to 2006)