44/8

Sabri Berisha sabri at cluecentral.net
Sun Jul 21 19:28:25 UTC 2019

----- On Jul 21, 2019, at 4:48 AM, nanog nanog at nanog.org wrote:

Hi,

> All of this puts more pressure on the access networks to keep IPv4 running and
> inflates the price of the remaining IPv4 addresses.

Exactly. Which means that the problem will solve itself.

Why is it taking so long to get IPv6 adopted? I'll tell you why: because the cost does not outweigh the benefits at this time. To /you/ they may, but to the average corporate bean counter they don't. Money and resources spent on an IPv6 study and migration project today, will not provide an ROI tomorrow. They will /maybe/ provide a modest ROI in a few years from now, if any. So why would an SVP of Platform Engineering spend his budget on IPv6?

Only when it becomes cheaper to go IPv6 than to use legacy V4 will V6 be adopted by large corporations. Well, the ones that are governed by beancounters instead of engineers. And by that time, I'll be charging $500/hr to assist $CORP with their IPv6 migration plans.

Thanks,

Sabri
JNCIE #261