netstat -s

Joel Jaeggli joelja at bogus.com
Sat Jul 20 22:14:22 UTC 2019

On 7/17/19 17:54, Randy Bush wrote:

> do folk use `netstat -s` to help diagnose on routers/switches?

I suspect there's an unstated question here of should metrics reported
by netstat -s  which includes metrics from the kernel should include
metrics derived from from the asic counters.

I do / have occasionally used netstat or the values exposed to it from
the kernel which are generally also exposed via other metrics methods.

I would find it a little odd for ip counters in netstat for example to
include packets that do not hit the  kernel control plane, though I
could imagine someone wanting that.