netstat -s

Carsten Bormann cabo at tzi.org
Sat Jul 20 02:51:26 UTC 2019

On Jul 17, 2019, at 20:54, Randy Bush <randy at psg.com> wrote:

> do folk use `netstat -s` to help diagnose on routers/switches?

I have used netstat -s on hosts to look at error counters if a switch or router was suspect.
But that was a while ago (anyone remember when NFS corrupted all your files if one of your routers or the NIC had a bit error outside the protection provided by the Ethernet CRC?).

Today, I have the problem that netstat -s doesn’t seem to work right on macOS.
Many counter values are nonsensical, or simply zero.
I was guessing this was due to NIC offload, but I haven’t analyzed further.
If anyone knows more about recent macOS netstat -s, I’d love to hear more details.

(Oh, and if there are recent (< 2 years old) statistics of ECT penetration in real networks, I’d love to know, too.)

Grüße, Carsten