44/8

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Fri Jul 19 15:41:33 UTC 2019

On 19 Jul 2019, at 11:34 AM, Matt Harris <matt at netfire.net<mailto:matt at netfire.net>> wrote:

On Fri, Jul 19, 2019 at 10:29 AM John Curran <jcurran at arin.net<mailto:jcurran at arin.net>> wrote:

Matt -

Chris is correct.   Those who received IPv4 address blocks by InterNIC (or its predecessors) prior to the inception of ARIN on 22 December 1997 are legacy resource holders, and continue to receive those same registry services for those blocks (Whois, reverse DNS, ability to update) without any need for an agreement with ARIN.  This has been provided without any fee to the original registrants (or their legal successors) as recognition of their contributions to the early Internet.

Hey John, I understand that, however my understanding is that the establishment of an ARIN RSA is required prior to the transfer of a block or a portion or a block via ARIN (such as the transfer of 44.192/10). Thus, this would mean that the 44/8 block is now governed by an (well, more than one, now that it's split) ARIN RSA (or LRSA) whereas it was not before.  Is that not correct?

Matt -

ARIN doesn’t discuss details of specific registrations publicly; you need to refer any such questions to the registrant.

/John

John Curran
President and CEO
American Registry for Internet Numbers